INSURANCEOverview Whole of Life Home Relevant Life Cover Private Medical Key Man Income Protection Family Income Benefits Decreasing Mortgage Cover Critical Illness Cover
Contents InsuranceAccident, Sickness and Unemployment Cover
What is contents insurance?
Contents insurance is insurance that pays for damage to, or loss of, an individual's personal possessions whilst they are located within that individual's home.
Some contents insurance policies also provide restricted cover for personal possessions temporarily taken away from the home by the policyholder.
In this context "possessions" means anything that is not permanently attached to the structure of the home (possessions that are permanently attached to the structure of the home can only be insured via home insurance). Some contents policies may also include possessions kept in the garden area attached to the house.
Is Contents Insurance Compulsory?
Unlike buildings insurance, contents insurance is optional as your home's contents belong to you. Nobody, other than yourself, is at risk of loss if you are the unlucky person who has been robbed, or if there has been an accident which lead to your house/contents to be damaged/destroyed (water damage/fire damage).
What does contents insurance cover?
Contents insurance typically covers damage which occurs due to fire, lightning, explosion or earthquake, theft (or attempted theft), riots or vandalism, storms or flooding, subsidence, falling trees, moving objects (such as a cars hitting your home) and escaping or leaking water or oil.
Contents insurance also usually covers:
- Your legal liability as occupier of the house, eg if a visitor has an accident and injures themselves
- Cost of accommodation and storage if you can't live in your home because of damage (e.g. fire, flooding etc)
- Some accidental damage to stereo equipment, TVs, computers, DVD players and any glass in furniture (e.g. a glass tabletop)
- Replacement keys and locks, and locksmith's fees if you lose or damage your keys
- Damage to TV and radio aerials, and satellite dishes
- Loss of food if a freezer breaks down
- Theft of cash from your home
- Contents of your outbuildings (although the amount of cover varies a lot from policy to policy and there may be lower limits for theft).
What can we do for you?
When you call us we will help you work find out what level of cover you will personally need, so that you are not overspending for unnecessary levels of cover that will never help you.
Then we will contact all of the providers to see who can offer you the best deal on this type of insurance. We will also help with home insurance if you require it.